Untold Italy Small Group Tours: Terms and Conditions
Benvenuti! We’re excited to welcome you on one of our immersive small group tour experiences exploring beautiful Italy. Please note the following Terms and Conditions that will apply to your trip. We’ve kept them as easy to read and straight forward as possible, as we know you’d rather be getting ready to travel than reading pages of fine print.
This agreement supersedes all previous oral or written communications, representations, or agreements between the parties and applies to all trips organized by Untold Italy and sold on this website.
Last updated: January 25th, 2023
All bookings are made with Untold Italy Tours (ABN 19 345 353 622) (us/we). By booking a trip with us, you are deemed to have agreed to these booking conditions (which constitutes the entire agreement between you and us) and your booking will be accepted by us on this basis.
Our tours are focused on food, wine and cultural experiences and have been designed with adults in mind.
Unfortunately we cannot accommodate children younger than 16. Note also that the legal age for drinking alcohol in Italy is 18 years. Please contact us if you would like your older teenagers 16+ to join us tour.
Making Your Travel Plans
Because we limit our group tours to a small number of attendees, to ensure a more personal and intimate experience, our trips will only go ahead if we reach a required minimum number of guests.
1. Your trip will be confirmed when minimum numbers are reached, at latest by the final balance payment date 100 – 120 days prior to trip departure.
2. If the trip is canceled by us, a full refund will be issued minus any bank charges. Should the trip be rescheduled to another date, you can choose to allocate any payments you have made to secure a spot on the new trip dates.
3. We advise that you do not book your flights until the trip has been confirmed in writing by us. We are not in a position to compensate for travel arrangements booked before the trip has been confirmed.
4. Extra time in a destination outside of the tour start and end date, is at your own expense. If you arrive before or after our designated check-in / transfer has been arranged, we can provide suggestions for ways to enjoy your time.
5. Passports must have a minimum of 3 months validity at the time of departure from Italy per Italian government requirements however we recommend ensuring there is 6 months validity remaining on your passport. Please make sure you check your current passport and renew it if necessary.
6. Visas may be required for entering Italy, and are at your own expense. You can check this Italian government website for requirements.
7. It is your responsibility to research the visa and passport requirements for Italy and coordinate your visa within the appropriate timeframes required by your local embassy. We are unable to provide any refunds if you are denied entry to the country, even if we or our local agent, has provided visa support (eg. if the local agent provided you with the invitation letter).
8. If a trip is priced in a currency different to that of your own, or if we provided estimated amounts in your local currency, please be aware that currency fluctuations may affect the final converted price in your currency. We do not have control over worldwide currency fluctuations, and monitoring this will be your responsibility. Payments are due in the currency quoted on the trip page.
Untold Italy trip payments are split into 2 instalments: a deposit to reserve your spot on tour and a final payment for the balance.
- Deposits – a 30% trip deposit is required to secure your place on our tours
- Balance – the remaining trip balance is required on the date specified in the trip itinerary and is usually 120 days prior to your trip departure
Cancelation and Refunds Policy
No one books a trip to Italy with the intention of canceling, but unexpected events do occur. Our cancelation policy is in place to help guests, our local partners and us through expenses that may arise from unexpected cancelations.
Cancelations Initiated by You:
- If you cancel your trip up to 120 days prior to departure, you will receive a full refund minus a $US 500 per-person service fee (to cover credit card fees and other non-refundable costs associated with your booking)
- Cancel between 119 and 61 days prior to the trip departure, and a 50% refund applies
- Cancelations within 60 days of departure incur a 100% cancelation fee
If you are not able to make a trip, we allow you to transfer the trip to someone of your choosing, found and assigned by you, no later than 30 days prior to departure and in writing. In that case, we will be transferring any payments you’ve made to that person and the new assigned guest will be responsible for making the pending payments. You will be responsible for recovering any monies already paid from the guest yourself.
Cancelations and Refunds After Tour Commencement:
No refunds or credits will be issued for failure to attend or failure to complete the tour, or for arriving late or leaving early. If you arrive late to a tour, any costs required to reach the location where the rest of the group is at the time of your arrival will be at your expense.
We do not issue refunds for any part of the trip not used, including (but not limited to) meals, activities, or any other services.
Cancelations Initiated by Us:
We reserve the right to cancel tours with inadequate participant interest, in which case your hold deposit will be refunded. Notification of cancelation for this reason will occur a minimum of 3 months before tour departure date. As mentioned above, we cannot be held responsible for any personal expenses, such as airline tickets due to changes in itineraries or tour cancellations before your tour has been confirmed.
Because refunds are made available only per the policy outlined above, and we are unable to make exceptions for any reason, including weather, injury/illness, or personal emergencies, we require all guests take out comprehensive travel insurance to compensate in case of unexpected cancelations. Insurance should cover you for both travel cancelations, and medical emergencies in Italy.
The unexpected can occur and becoming ill or injured in a foreign country is a very daunting experience, we require guests take insurance with international evacuation coverage for all trips. You should book a policy as soon as the trip has been confirmed. We can provide a list of recommended providers on request.
We will request proof of your travel and medical insurance details no later than 30 days before departure. Failure to comply with this requirement will result in the cancelation of your booking without refund.
Prices and Surcharges
Untold Italy trip prices are subject to variable and seasonal pricing, both of which are standard practice within the travel industry. This means our trip prices may vary at any time in accordance with demand, market conditions, and availability. There is a chance that different passengers on the same trip have been charged different prices.
If you like the price you see on our website then your best option is to book at that time. Any reduced pricing or discounts that may become available after you have paid your deposit will not apply. If you wish to cancel your booking to take advantage of a cheaper price, full cancellation conditions apply. The most up-to-date pricing is available on our website.
Prices are based on currency exchange rates at the time of trip publication. Please note that prices may vary depending on which currency the booking is made in.
We reserve the right to impose surcharges up to 45 days before departure due to unfavourable changes in exchange rates, transportation costs, increases in local operator costs, taxes, or if government action should require us to do so. In such instances, we will be responsible for any change in the exchange rate representing 5% of the trip price and you will be responsible for the balance. If any surcharge results in an increase of more than 10% of the trip price, you may cancel the booking within 14 days of notification of the surcharge and obtain a full refund.
Please note that a surcharge may be applied to all purchases made by credit card.
Timely payment is key for the trip to go ahead as planned and for our local partners and agents to be able to guarantee accommodation and activities. We reserve the right to cancel a booking without refund should the final payment deadline not be met.
COVID Travel Policies
The health and wellbeing of our guests is of utmost importance to us. We require that all guests are fully vaccinated for COVID-19 (minimum 2 doses of approved vaccine in your country) to join our tours so that we ensure the safety of everyone on the trip. All guests must comply with Italian regulations with respect to vaccinations and face coverings at the time of their visit.
We strongly recommend if you are eligible to receive a COVID-19 booster shot that you do so in preparation for your travel.
1. Vaccinations are at your own expense, and should be planned ahead of time, as we are unable to make exceptions to our cancelation policy due to unexpected delays to vaccination. We recommend not making any deposits if you have not yet received the vaccines to avoid unexpected changes in vaccine schedule that may make it impossible for you to join the trip.
2. Proof of vaccination must be supplied via email, in the same name as your tour booking, at least 14 days before the tour commences.
3. If you are unable to provide proof of a COVID-19 vaccination, you will not be permitted to join the group, and a refund will not be available to you.
4. Notwithstanding the need to be vaccinated to join our tours, you will also be required to comply with local regulations in Italy, which may include presenting a negative COVID test before entering etc. It is your responsibility to ensure you are aware of the applicable requirements to you as these may vary by nationality of country of residence. We are unable to provide refunds if you are denied entry because of failure to comply with COVID requirements. You can check this Italian Government website for information relating to your particular circumstances.
5. Any information or advice given by us or our partners or agents regarding visas, vaccinations, climate, clothing, baggage, special equipment, etc. is purely advisory and provided as a courtesy. We are not responsible for any errors or omissions as to any such information provided.
6. If an exit COVID test is required for you to return to your country of origin, we may help you organize it.
7. Once the first deposit is made, our refunds policy will apply unless there are travel restrictions imposed by the Italian Government that force the cancelation of the trip. In that case, the trip will be moved to a different date.
8. If the tour has to be postponed based on border closures or restrictions in Italy, a credit for your deposit will be issued to be used for the postponement date of the same trip. If the tour happens as scheduled, but a guest decides not to attend based on any other reason than a country’s border closure, then the regular cancelation policy (stated above) will be maintained. If a country only closes its borders to citizens from certain countries, and the tour goes ahead, the regular cancelation policy will be maintained, and your travel insurance is where you will seek compensation.
Trip Itinerary and Inclusions
We provide all tour participants with detailed itineraries prior to booking and departure. The boutique nature of our itineraries means that they may be subject to minor changes, updates and additions as we get closer to departure. Any changes would reflect the goal of enhancing your tour experience.
Photography / Videography
We aim to make our trips as special as possible, and some tours may include a photographer who will take candid photography throughout the tour at no extra cost.
1. You understand that some of our trips may be accompanied by a photographer / videographer who will be taking candid photography of the group.
2. A selection of these images will be shared with the group after the completion of the tour for use on social media. You may not sell or otherwise use any of the images taken by us or our photographers or videographers for commercial purposes.
3. In attending a trip with an accompanied photographer, you agree and acknowledge that your image and likeness may be used in future promotional material, by Untold Italy, and our partner tour companies. You also agree to grant us a worldwide, royalty-free, perpetual license to use, re-use, distribute, display, create derivative works of, and reproduce any images, photos, or videos (whether directly or through a photo sharing service) in any medium, including but not limited to print, electronic media, or Internet, free of charge and without right to inspection, for any purpose, including to promote and publicize our products and services worldwide. If you do not wish for your photos or video to be taken, please let us know before your tour via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
All tour costs are considered on a twin sharing basis with two guests per room with twin or double bedding.
1. If you are traveling solo, a single supplement will apply per trip payable on booking. If you would be happy to be paired with a room mate, we may be able to accommodate your request however this is dependent on other travelers booking the trip and is not guaranteed.
2. If you are traveling with companions, please let us know in advance and advise the bedding type required so we can pair you in the same room.
3. We are unable to accommodate more than 2 guests to a room.
4. You are responsible for the safety and security of your belongings within a shared room setting.
We are committed to making our trips accessible to as many people as possible and will do our best to accommodate dietary restrictions, allergies, medical conditions and other needs of our guests.
By joining our trips you agree to notify us of any requirements before reserving a spot so we can confirm that your needs will be met within the limitations of the itinerary, the destination and the trip style.
You also understand that some types of trips may require a minimum level of fitness or mobility, or may not easily accommodate dietary requirements due to the limited choices at the destination or the culinary focus of the trip. For this reason, vegan dietary requirements are not catered for.
We will endeavour to discuss possible options with you prior to reserving your spot and provide you with the most accurate information available to us for you to make an informed decision.
By joining our trips, you also state that you know of no physical or mental condition that would create a hazard for you or others, or affect other people’s enjoyment of the trip.
Participants assume the risk involved when participating in foreign travel, and any and all activities and/or pursuits voluntarily undertaken while participating in the tour.
By participating in any Untold Italy tour, you agree that you do so at your own risk, are voluntarily participating in these activities, assume all risk of injury to yourself, and agree to release Untold Italy and our local partners and agents from any and all claims or causes of action, known or unknown.
Please be prepared to sign a ‘Waiver of Responsibility’ form before you begin your tour. This form is an understanding that all guests need to exercise judgement and care at all times to ensure their own safety and that of their fellow travelers.
Legal Matters, Alcohol and Drugs
You will comply with Italian laws including public health directives. Failure to abide by this provision may result in immediate termination of your trip without a refund or other liability by us, our local partners or agents.
We do not tolerate drug use of any kind during our trips and we require responsible alcohol consumption, for your safety and that of those around you.
Smoking is not allowed in any Untold Italy booked transport, hotel rooms, restaurants, or within the vicinity of the tour group.
Authority on Tour
Untold Italy group trips are run by an experienced bi-lingual tour leader. The decision of the group leader is final on all matters likely to affect the safety or well-being of any guest or staff member participating in the trip. If you fail to comply with a decision made by a tour leader or interfere with the well-being or mobility of the group, the tour leader may direct you to leave the trip immediately with no right of refund. We may also elect not to carry you on any future trips booked. You must at all times comply with the laws, customs, foreign exchange, and drug regulations in Italy, and you also agree to travel in accordance with responsible travel guidelines.
In case of a Force Majeure event, we are not responsible for performing our obligations and will not be responsible for any resulting damages.
A Force Majeure Event is any circumstances beyond our reasonable control, including without limitation acts of nature, terrorist activities, insurrection, explosion, flood, earthquake, tempest, forceful wind, fire or accident, war or threat of war declared or undeclared, sabotage, civil disturbance, labor strikes, requisition, pandemics, sickness, quarantine, government intervention, weather conditions, and unforeseen circumstances.
If we, our partners or agents are affected by a Force Majeure Event, we, or our agents, may vary or cancel any itinerary or activity without any obligation or liability.
Claims and Complaints
We are committed to creating and delivering extraordinary experiences. However, if any issues arise during a trip, you agree to notify the tour leader as soon as possible so we can find a satisfactory solution that works for everyone.
You agree to send all your complaints in writing by email to email@example.com along with any supporting documentation.
Terms & Conditions of Local Operators
Untold Italy operates tours with expert tour operators and agents. In some cases, including our Sicily tour, it means that your payments will be handled directly by the tour operator or agent, and any liabilities that may arise will be between yourself and the tour operator directly, handled according to their Terms and Conditions.
In booking a place on an Untold Italy small group tour, you agree to both our Terms and Conditions, listed on this page, as well as the Terms and Conditions of the local tour operator for your specific tour and the activity or accommodation provider. The specific terms and conditions will be included in a trip pages and we encourage you to read and understand their specific policies.
As mentioned, Untold Italy and all our representatives (herein after referred to as “agents”), act only in capacity as agents for the guest in all matters connected with travel, sight-seeing journeys and transportation.
You agree that as agents, we are held free of responsibility for any damage occasioned by any cause, in particular:
- For any damages or expenses or inconveniences caused by late departures, change of schedule or change in activities caused by reasons beyond our control
- For loss or damage to baggage or any of the participant’s belongings.
- For personal injury, death, accident, delay, loss, damage, irregularity or property damage as a result of force majeure or for any other losses or damages incurred by any person or journey participants caused by any delay or change of itinerary or arising out of any act, including, but not limited to, any act of negligence, any person acting for or on behalf of agents for transportation, accommodation or sight-seeing provider or any other person or entity rendering any of these services or accommodations being offered in connection with this journey.
Participants agree that any and all disputes between Participants and Untold Italy shall be governed by the laws of the State of Victoria, Australia. Participants agree to mediate any and all disputes prior to the instigation of any litigation.
In the event of any litigation between the Parties to this agreement involving their respective rights or obligations, such litigation shall take place in the State of Victoria, Australia.
All prices quoted are correct at time of publication, include the cost of operation of the journeys, and are subject to currency changes.